Civil War in Georgia - Lat34North; Header


Series 1 Volume XXX; Part 2

SEPTEMBER 1-10, 1883. - Expeditions from Paducah, Ky., and Union City, Tenn., to Conyersville, Tenn., and Skirmish September 5.

Official Report Number 2

Report of Report of Lieut. Gustav Herpich, Fourth Missouri Cavalry.
September 10, 1863.

SIR: By order of Co1. Charles H. Fox, commanding First Brigade at the time, I left Union City, Tenn., with 40 men of the Fourth Missouri Cavalry and 30 men of the Twenty-fourth Missouri Mounted Infantry, to proceed to Murray, Ky., where I would find a force of United States troops, and report to the commanding officer there.

I arrived at Murray, Ky., on the 4th instant and reported accordingly.

On the 5th instant, Major Mabry, of One hundred and eleventh Illinois Infantry, commanding the forces, ordered me with 20 men to proceed to Conyersville, Tenn., to intercept a party of guerrillas, while he sent Lieutenant Robberson, of the Twenty-fourth Missouri Mounted Infantry, by another route to the same place for the same purpose. At about 1.30 p. m. of the same day got sight of the advance guard of the guerrillas on the road where the Twenty-fourth Missouri Mounted Infantry had to come in. I ordered my men to charge on them, which they did in a most gallant style, but coming in close, range, they fired a volley at us, which, although, did not stop my men to advance, but at the same time the Twenty-fourth Missouri Mounted Infantry, in the rear of the enemy, fired a volley into them, which made them throw down their arms, jump off their horses, and run up a steep hill. I ordered a part of my men to the right and left to surround the hill; also one part to charge after them. The infantry I ordered to dismount and search the brush, which was very thick. The cavalry succeeded in heading them, killing 6, wounding 2 (1 severely), taking 1 prisoner, the Infantry manly supporting them. After about one hour's engagement, finding out that I had slain, wounded, and captured almost the entire force of the guerrillas, I withdrew my men and ordered Lieutenant Robberson to proc.eed back to Murray, Ky., the same way he came. I also went back to Murray, Ky., on the straightest road, notifying the citizens of Conyersville, Tenn., to bury the dead.

Among the killed was Capt. John E. McGuire and Lieutenant Foster (both having the oath of allegiance to the United States in their pockets, as well as a list of the members of their companies).

Coming back to Murray, Ky., I reported .the facts to Major Mabry, commanding forces, and handed over to him all the captured documents and papers, as well as horses.

Major Mabry, intending to move on toward Paris, Tenn., kept me with him until September 7, when he marched on with the whole force, sending a part of my command in advance, and another to the right and left on different roads to Conyersville. Arrived at Conyersville, he found out that a force of United States troops was at and around Paris, Tenn. He ordered me back with my command to Union City, Tenn., through the Obion Swamps. I arrived here, without any further interruption, September 10, 1863.

I have the honor to remain, your most obedient servant,

First Lieut. Fourth Missouri Cavalry, Comdg. Expedition
Commanding First Brigade, Sixth Division, Sixteenth Army Corps, Union City, Tenn.



Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies.
Series 1Volume XXX; Part 2 - Reports; Page 649 - 650
Chapter:XLII - Operations in Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, North Alabama, and North Georgia. August 11-October 19, 1863.
Author: United States. War Dept., John Sheldon Moody, Calvin Duvall Cowles, Frederick Caryton Ainsworth, Robert N. Scott, Henry Martyn Lazelle, George Breckenridge Davis, Leslie J. Perry, Joseph William Kirkley
Published: Washington: Government Printing Office
Date: 1890