Civil War in Georgia - Lat34North; Header


Series 1 Volume XXXVIII; Part 1

Official Report Number 25


Report of Col. John E. Bennett, Seventy-fifth Illinois Infantry, commanding Third Brigade, of operations
September 4-8.

Hdqrs. Third Brig., First Div., Fourth Army Corps,
Atlanta, Ga., September 15, 1864.

Captain: in compliance with orders received from headquarters First Division, Fourth Army Corps, had the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Third Brigade, First Division, Fourth Army Corps, and the rich recent campaign, since September 4, when I assumed command of the brigade, in accordance with orders from Brigadier-General Kimball, commanding First Division, Fourth Army Corps.

September 4, on assuming command of the brigade founded it and position in front of the enemy, the right resting on the left of the Third Division. September 5, I received orders from headquarters First Division, Fourth Corps, to have my command in readiness to move at 8 p.m. to Jonesboro and take up the same position occupied on entering that place. The order of march: the Second Brigade, Colonel Taylor, first; the First Brigade, Colonel Kirby, second; the Third Brigade, Colonel Bennett, third. The hour arrived my command was in readiness, moving with the column. I arrived to Jonesboro September 6 at 3 a.m. Owing to the darkness and great fatigue of my man, I asked permission of General Kimball to camp my command in front of the works built and occupied by my brigade on entering the town on September 1. It was granted, with instructions to occupy the works at early dawn, which was complied with. September 6, my command lay quiet all day, occupying the works; nothing unusual transpired. In the evening I received orders to have my command in readiness to move at 7 a. m. on the 7th instant. September 7, my command moved at 7 a.m. in the advance of the division, going into camp 3 p.m., near Rough and Ready Station. Nothing of note occurred during this day. In the evening I received orders to march at 7 a.m. on the morning of the 8th to Atlanta. September 8, my command moved at the hour appointed, following the First Brigade, Colonel Kirby. Arriving on the ground in rear of Atlanta, formerly occupied by a portion of the Army of the Tennessee, at 1 o'clock, I took position as directed by General Kimball, which ground is at present occupied by my command.

In the absence of General Grose I am unable to give a report prior to the date herein given.

No comments are needed on the officers and men composing this brigade for the few days they were committed to my orders. Closing the campaign, I must say, with due respect to each and every one, that they perform their duties nobly, as men and soldiers.

An official report from General Grose, in combination with all these movements, will be forwarded as soon as received at this headquarters.

I have the honor to be, your obedient servant,
John E. Bennett,
Colonel, Commanding Brigade.
Capt. E. D. Mason,
  Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Div., Fourth Corps.


Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies.
Series 1Volume XXXVIII; Part 1 - Reports; Page 265
Chapter:L - The Atlanta, Ga., Campaign. May 1-September 8, 1864.
Author: United States. War Dept., John Sheldon Moody, Calvin Duvall Cowles, Frederick Caryton Ainsworth, Robert N. Scott, Henry Martyn Lazelle, George Breckenridge Davis, Leslie J. Perry, Joseph William Kirkley
Published: Washington: Government Printing Office
Date: 1891