Historic Markers Across Georgia



Appling County



Marker ID: GHM 001-2
Location: Courthouse in Baxley at US 1 and US 341
County: Appling
Coordinates: N 31° 46.709    W 082° 20.908
  31.778489    -82.348469
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This county created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 15, 1818 and Dec. 24, 1824 is named for Colonel Daniel Appling who served in the War of 1812. Baxley was chosen as the County Site in 1874 and incoprorated in 1875. The first Site, approved by the Legislature in 1828, was at Holmesville which was chartered in 1854. Among the firsy County Officers, who took office in 1820, were Sheriff William Carter, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts John McAuley, Coroner James Mixon and Surveyor Daniel S. Whitehurst.

GHM 001-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

001-2