Historic Markers Across Georgia



Atkinson Court House



Marker ID: GHM 002-1
Location: Courthouse in Pearson
County: Atkinson
Coordinates: N 31° 17.736    W 082° 51.198
  31.2956    -82.8533
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9A3F
Atkinson Court House Marker  



Text:

Atkinson County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1917, out of lands previously in Clinch and Coffee Counties.

The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk Superior Court; E.D. Leggett, Sheriff and Charles E. Stewart, Representative in legislature.

Members of the first Board of Commissioners, created in 1919, were Jeff Kirkland, David Weathers and J.M. Roberts Sr. The first Clerk to the Commissioners and County Attorney was L.A. Hargreaves.

GHM 002-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Atkinson Court House
Atkinson Court House


 

002-1