Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kinnaird Trail



Marker ID: GHM 002-2
Location: US 221 at Kinnaird Trail Ga 64, 8 mi SW of Pearson
County: Atkinson
Coordinates: N 31° 12.018    W 082° 54.972
  31.2003    -82.9162
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9W26
Kinnaird Trail Marker  



Text:

Kinnaird Trail, considered the oldest public road in Wiregrass Georgia, follows an Indian trail used before white men came to this country. In Revolutionary days, it was named Kinnaird Trail as the route was used by Indians and traders travelling from St. Mary´s to an Indian trading post on the Flint River operated by Jack Kinnaird.

After 1820 settlers from North and South Carolina, Tennessee and middle Georgia homesteaded along and near the trail.

0.5 mile from here on Kinnaird Trail is Salem Church established about 1890. It has been prominent in the religious and educational life of the community.

GHM 002-2 Georgia Historic Marker 1992



 

Kinnaird Trail


 

002-2