Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bacon County



Marker ID: GHM 003-1
Location: Bacon County Courthouse Square, Alma
County: Bacon
Coordinates: N 31° 32.514    W 082° 28.134
  31.5419    -82.4689
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNPYG
Bacon County Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 27, 1914, is named for Augustus O. Bacon, four times U.S. Senator, who died in office Feb. 15, 1914. An expert on Mexican affairs, his death was a great loss coming at a time of critical relations with that nation. Born in 1839, Senator Bacon served as Adjutant of the 9th Georgia Regiment during the War of 61-65. Among the first County Officers were: Ordinary T.B. Taylor, Clerk of Superior Court Victor Deen, Sheriff J.S. Googe, Tax Collector J.N. Johnson, Tax Receiver L.W. Hutto, Treasurer J.G. Barber, Surveyor J.W. Medders and Coroner W.H. Lewis.



 

 

003-1