Historic Markers Across Georgia



Campsite of Union Army



Marker ID: GHM 005-14
Location: Old River Bridge Rd at Ga 22/24, east of Oconee River
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 5.118    W 083° 12.407
  33.0853    -83.20678
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70Q3
Campsite of Union Army  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Union Army of 65,000 men under the command of General Wm. T. Sherman left Atlanta on November 15, 1864. Only the left wing of 30,000 men entered Milledgeville. The advance units arrived here on the 22nd. The right wing marched via Clinton and Gordon and joined the left wing at Sandersville. More than 25,000 soldiers camped at this site on Nov. 22-25. The McKinley house, 500 yards north of this point, served as headquarters for Generals Jackson and Geary. The toll bridge which stood 50 yards below the present structure was destroyed on November 25.

GHM 005-14 Georgia Histori Commission on 1962




Campsite of Union Army
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-14