Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Governor's Mansion



Marker ID: GHM 005-1B
Location: South Clark St south of Hancock St, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.778    W 083° 13.91
  33.079633    -83.23183
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4G97
Old Governor's Mansion Marker  



Text:

Completed in 1838, The Executive Mansion was the fifth and last resident occupied by Georgia governors when Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. The Palladian-inspired structure is considered one of the most perfect examples of Georgian architecture in America. Charles B. Cluskey designed The Mansion and Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut, was the builder.

The ten governors who occupied The Mansion were George R. Gilmer, Charles J. McDonald, George W. Crawford, George W. Towns, Howell Cobb, Herschel V. Johnson, Joseph E. Brown, James Johnson, Charles J. Jenkins and Brigadier-General Thomas H. Ruger. the last held office under orders of General George H. Meade. In November 1864, The Mansion served briefly as General William T. Sherman´s headquarters.

In 1868 the capital was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta. Since 1890 The Mansion has been the home of Georgia College presidents. The two lower floors are open to the public.

GHM 005-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1968



Old Governor’s Mansion
Old Governor's Mansion
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-1B