Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Great Seal of Georgia



Marker ID: GHM 005-20
Location: Courthouse, Hancock and Wilkinson Streets, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.868    W 083° 13.743
  33.081133    -83.22905
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6ZZZ
The Great Seal of Georgia  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

When Federal troops entered Milledgeville in November, 1864, Georgia Secretary of State Nathan C. Barnett hid the Great Seal under a house and the legislative minutes in a pig pen 30 yards east of this point. Later they were returned to the Statehouse.

Again in 1868 Governor Charles J. Jenkins (Governor, 1865-1868) removed the Great Seal to thwart state fund payments which had been ordered by the United States military authority which inaugurated Georgia´s carpetbag regime. Federal General Meade replaced Governor Jenkins with United States General Thomas H. Ruger of Wisconsin (who served only part of the year 1868), the last of the Milledgeville governors. With the return of home rule in 1872 the Great Seal was returned to the new capitol in Atlanta.

GHM 005-20 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1960



Baldwin Co. Courthouse
The Great Seal of Georgia
Photo by Ken Moser



 

005-20