Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Oglethorpe University



Marker ID: GHM 005-21
Location: Ivey Drive at Allem Memorial Drive, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 3.289    W 083° 14.765
  33.054816    -83.24608
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNPYD
Old Oglethorpe University  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Hopewll Presbytery in 1833. Its first president, Carlisle P. Beman, was succeeded by Samuel K. Talmage. In 1861, students and faculty entered Confederate service, among them Sidney Lanier. After the college reopened in 1866, it succumbed to economic crisis and closed in 1869. Two noted professors were Joseph Le Conte, one of the South´s foremost scientists, and James Woodrow, believed to be the first educator in Georgia to receive the Ph.D. The last campus building, Thallan Hall, constructed by Joseph Lane, stood until 1990. Oglethorpe University was refounded in Atlanta by Thornwell Jacobs in 1913.

GHM 005-21 Georgia Historic Marker 1994



 

 

005-21