Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Wilkinson



Marker ID: GHM 005-23
Location: At Vinson Highway and Fort Wilkinson Dr, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 2.706    W 083° 12.741
  33.0451    -83.21235
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70Q8
Fort Wilkinson  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Three hundred yards east of this point stood Ft. Wilkinson, established in 1797 on Georgia´s Indian boundary. Garrisoned by soldiers whose families lived outside the stockade, it was an early trading house where Creek Indians were provided agricultural supplies under the Treaty of New York (1790). Here occurred in 1802 the treaty which extinguished Indian titles to land westward to Commissioner´s Creek, which area was in the first Georgia land lottery in 1805. In 1807, the garrison was moved to Ft. Hawkins on the Ocmulgee River. following the expanding perimeter of Indian land cessions.

GHM 005-23 Georgia Historical Commission 1961




Fort Wilkinson
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-23