Historic Markers Across Georgia



Milledgeville State Hospital



Marker ID: GHM 005-24
Location: In front of Powell Building, State Hospital, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 3.098    W 083° 13.328
  33.051633    -83.22213
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70QA
Milledgeville State Hospital  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1837, largely through the influence of Tomlinson Fort and William A. White, the legislature appropriated $20,000 for a dormitory near Milledgeville where the state´s mentally ill could receive custodial care. A four-story building was opened on this site in 1842 and together with various later additions became known as the Center Building. Originally serving only pauper patients, service were expanded for all bona fide citizens. Dr. Thomas F. Green (1847-1879) and Theophilus O. Powell (1879-1907).

GHM 005-24 Georgia Historical Commission 1961



Milledgeville State Hospital
Milledgeville State Hospital
Photo by Ken Moser



 

005-24