Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tomlinson Fort House



Marker ID: GHM 005-25
Location: South Liberty and West Greene Streets, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 04.762    W 083° 13.786
  33.07936666    -83.22976666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNPYB
Tomlinson Fort House  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

At this site lived Tomlinson Fort (1787-1859). A leader of the Union Party, he studied medicine and wrote a widely used book on medical practice. A captain in the War of 1812, he served in the Georgia legislature and the U.S. Congress, and on the board of governors of the University of Georgia. He founded the Federal Union in 1830 and was president of the Central Bank of Georgia. As early as 1822 he advocated replacing the Poor School Fund with a public school system. He was instrumental in establishing at Milledgeville in 1837 the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, now the largest state institution in Georgia.

GHM 005-25 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961




Tomlinson Fort House
Photo by Markerman62



 

005-25