Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sacred Heart Catholic Church



Marker ID: GHM 005-26
Location: East Hancock and Jefferson Streets, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.901    W 083° 13.539
  33.081683    -83.22565
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4G9B
Sacred Heart Catholic Church  Marker  



Text:

The first Catholic mass was celebrated at Milledgeville in April, 1845, at the Hugh Treanor apartment in the Newell Hotel. Bishop Ignatius Reynolds of the diocese of Charleston, accompanied by Father J.F. O´Neill, visited here in 1847. In 1850 this parish was incorporated in the new Diocese of Savannah. the church structure was built in 1874 and Robert Kennedy was the first resident priest, 1899-94.

This site was previously occupied by elegant La Fayette Hotel which opened in October, 1824, and had as its guest Gen. Marquis de La Fayette in 1825.

GHM 005-26 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961



Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-26