Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cemetery Square



Marker ID: GHM 005-28
Location: South Liberty and West Franklin Streets, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.565    W 083° 13.788
  33.076083    -83.2298
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Cemetery  Square Marker  



Text:

This square was reserved for public use in the city´s original survey and became the site of early church buildings. One hundred yards south of this point is a stone marking the site of the first Methodist Church erected in Georgia west of the Oconee River, in 1805. The earliest graves date from this period. Near the church site is a lot containing graves of legislators who died during legislative sessions in Milledgeville. None appear after 1845 when rail transportation became available. Those legislators who died in Milledgeville were: Senators, William W. Baker, Liberty Co., 1826; Nathaniel Bradford, Crawford Co., 1841; Robert Brown, Murray Co., 1838; Jonathan Lewis, Burke Co., 1834; George Galphin Nowlan, Effingham Co., 1816; Alexander M. Sanford, Bryan Co., 1843; James Thompson, Walker Co., 1840; and Representatives, John Bell, Decatur Co., 1827; Jacob Hentz, Baker Co., 1845; Aaron Jones, Lee Co., 1834; McLin Lunday, Screven Co., 1834; James Spalding, McIntosh Co., 1820; and Horatio Webb, Jackson Co., 1840.

GHM 005-28 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961



Picture of the marker in storage at the GA Marker Shop.
Cemetery  Square
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-28