Historic Markers Across Georgia



State College



Marker ID: GHM 005-29
Location: North Clark St south of Montgomery St, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 04.865    W 083° 13.932
  33.08108333    -83.2322
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: WM6ZZ9
State College  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Largely through the efforts of William Y. Atkinson the Georgia Normal and Industrial College was founded in 1889 with J. Harris Chappell as the first president. It became a degree granting institution in 1917 and included a liberal arts program. The name was changed in 1922 to Georgia State College for Women and in 1961 to the woman´s College of Georgia.

This square of 20 acres, set aside for public use in 1803, was used from 1811 until after the War Between the States as the site of the State Penitentiary. The buildings were partly burned during Sherman´s occupation.

GHM 005-29 Georgia Historic Marker




State College
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-29