Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Fort Fidius (1793-1797)



Marker ID: GHM 005-5
Location: Ga 22/24 at King St, 1/4 mile east of the Oconee River
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 5.072    W 083° 12.587
  33.084533    -83.20978
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70HW
Old Fort Fidius (1793-1797)  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The first settlement in this section was made up of four frame houses, a dozen or more cabins and a fort. It was called Federal town. Many of the soldiers died so a new fort was built several miles up the river and named Fort Fidius. It was located 2 miles below this point. In 1794 Commander Roberts complained to the Secretary of War that he had only 69 able-bodied men to face 10,000 Indians.

In 1797 the U.S. Government replaced Fort Fidius with Fort Wilkinson on the west side of the river on Indian lands.

GHM 005-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1954




Old Fort Fidius (1793-1797)
Photo by Ken Moser



 

005-5