Historic Markers Across Georgia



Montpelier



Marker ID: GHM 005-7
Location: Ga 22/24 just west of where they split, east of Oconee River
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.809    W 083° 9.842
  33.08015    -83.16403
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70Q6
Montpelier  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This church is named Montpelier after Fort Montpelier of 1794, 1/2 mi. below here down the Oconee. This fort & others were built during the Creek Indian troubles. Capt. Jonas Fouche was ordered to guard the Ga. frontier from the mouth of the Tugaloo to Fort Fidius on the Oconee. 200 militia cavalry & infantry raised under Gov. Telfair were placed under the command of Maj. Gaithr, Federal commandant. A note on Fouche´s map reads: ´As it is 40 mi. from Fort Twiggs to Mount Pelah where Maj. Gaither laid in garrison, it is recommended that a public station might be created by the Government (at Cedar Shoals)´.

GHM 005-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1996



Montpelier United Methodist Church
Montpelier
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-7