Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Stephen's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHM 005-8
Location: South Wayne Street at Washington Street, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.717    W 083° 13.575
  33.078616    -83.22625
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM702X
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This Church was organized in 1841 through the efforts of Bishop Stephen Elliott. the church building was completed in 1843 and consecrated Dec. 10. The vestibule, annex and Gothic roof were added later. The handmade chancel furniture was given by an early parishioner, John Wilcox. Rev. Rufus White was probably the first Rector and J.M. Cotting and C.J. Paine the first Wardens. In 1864 the building was damaged when Federal troops dynamited the nearby arsenal. In 1909 a new organ was presented by George W. Perkins of New York who had heard that Sherman´s troops stabled horses in the building and further damaged its contents.

005-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

005-8