Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old State Bank



Marker ID: GHM 005-9
Location: E Greene and S Wilkinson Sts, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Old State Bank


Built in 1818 as a branch of the Bank of Darien, this building has served various purposes. The Masonic Lodge occupied part of the building in 1825 when it entertained General Lafayette in one of its rooms. A newspaper, “The Southern Recorder”, organized in 1820, was housed here in its early years. It was the meeting place of the legislative committee which drew up the Ordinance of Succession 1861. It is also been used as a private school conducted by Miss Kate Davison. Subsequently, it became a barracks for the G.M.C. cadets and later a hotel.



 
Notes:

Scrapped