Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Methodist Church



Marker ID: UDC 
Location: between S. Wilkinson Street and S. Clarke Street, Milledgeville's Memory Hill Cemetery, Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.478    W 083° 13.746
  33.07463333    -83.2291
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This marks the original site
of the Methodist Church erected
about the year 1805.
Bishop Asbury and Bishop
McKendree in 1815 held here
a conference which James O.
Andrew attended.
Bishop Capers, Dr. Lovick Pierce,
and many other notable figures
of Methodism served as pastors.
The daughter of Bishop Capers
is buried near this spot.
In gracious appreciation of
the pioneer work done by this
great church this boulder
is erected by
the Robert E. Lee Chapter, U.D.C.
1929.



 

 

005-A19