Historic Markers Across Georgia



Brown-Stetson-Sanford House



Marker ID: GHS 005-1
Location: W. Hancock St., Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.783    W 083° 14.141
  33.079716    -83.23568
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM70GX
Brown-Stetson-Sanford House  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to serve visitors and legislators during the city´s years as capital of Georgia (1807-1868). In 1857 the house was purchased by merchant Daniel B. Stetson. His daughter Elizabeth married Judge Daniel B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention, in 1868. From 1951-1966 the house was renowned as the Sanford House Tea Room. The family then donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society who moved it here in 1966.

2001.14 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and
Old Capital Historical Society 5-1




Brown-Stetson-Sanford House
Photo by Ken Moser



 

005-A2