Historic Markers Across Georgia



Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No. 3 F.& A.M.



Marker ID: F. & A. M. 
Location: on Masonic building at N. Wayne & East Hancock Sts, Milledge
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.88    W 083° 13.520
  33.081333    -83.22533
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM4G9Y
Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No. 3 F.& A.M. Marker  



Text:

THIS IS THE OLDEST MASONIC BUILDING IN GEORGIA WITH CONTINUOUS USAGE SINCE ITS DEDICATION ON JUNE 24, 1834. FUNDED THROUGH A STATE AUTHORIZED LOTTERY AND CONSTRUCTED BY JOHN MARLOW (ALSO ONE OF THE ARCHITECTS WITH SAMUEL TUCKER AND JAMES DOYLE), THIS GEORGIAN STYLE BUILDING WAS AMONG THE MORE ELEGANT STRUCTURES IN ANTEBELLUM GEORGIA. IT IS ALSO ONE OF THE EARLIER MASONRY STRUCTURES WEST OF THE OCONEE RIVER.

THE GRAND LODGE OF GEORGIA MET HERE ANNUALLY FROM DECEMBER 1834 THROUGH THE 1845 SESSION WHEN ITS SITE WAS MOVED TO MACON. DURING RECONSTRUCTION THE BUILDING HOUSED THE OFFICE OF THE FREEDMAN´S BUREAU AND ITS GROUND FLOOR WAS HEADQUARTERS OF THE LOCAL MILITARY GARRISON.

THIS BUILDING WAS BUILT FOR THE MASONIC USE OF BENEVOLENT LODGE NUMBER 3, F. & A. M.; TEMPLE CHAPTER NUMBER 6, R. A. M AND GEORGIA COUNCIL NUMBER 4, R. & S. M.

MARKER PLACED BY
THE EDUCATIONAL AND HISTORICAL COMMISSION
GRAND LODGE OF GEORGIA, F. & A. M. 1980



 

 

005-A3