Historic Markers Across Georgia



Brown-Stetson-Sanford House



Marker ID: GHS 5-1
Location: at the intersection of West Hancock St (Georgia Route 49) and Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on West Hancock Street.
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 4.783    W 83° 14.141
  33.07971666    -83.22888
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Brown-Stetson-Sanford House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to serve visitors and legislators during the city´s years as capital of Georgia (1807-1868). In 1857 the house was purchased by merchant Daniel B. Stetson. His daughter Elizabeth married Judge Daniel B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention, in 1868. From 1951-1966 the house was renowned as the Sanford House Tea Room. The family then donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society who moved it here in 1966

2001.14 The Georgia Historical Society and Old Capital Historical Society. 5-1.



Brown-Stetson-Sanford House
Brown-Stetson-Sanford House
Photo by David Seibert



 

005-HS1