Historic Markers Across Georgia



Line Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 006-3
Location: US 441 1/4 mile S of Mile Marker 15 south of Hollingsworth
County: Banks
Coordinates: N 34° 24.587    W 083° 30.359
  34.409783    -83.50598
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7778
Line Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

The Line Baptist Church was constituted Sept. 13, 1802. by Rev. Moses Sanders, Thomas MAxwell and Daniel White.

This church was just over the line between Georgia and Cherokee lands. Meetings couldn´t be held at night, because all white people had to be off Indian lands by sundown.

Thirteen churches met here and formed the Tugalo Baptist Association in 1818 This association met here in 1822 and 1842. The Liberty Baptist Association was formed here in 1867.

This building, about 70 years old, is the second one on this site. It has stood in Franklin, Habersham and Banks counties.

GHM 006-3A Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

Line Baptist Church


 

006-3A