Historic Markers Across Georgia



Leatherwood Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 006-6
Location: Ga 105 4 miles east of US 441 south of Baldwin
County: Banks
Coordinates: N 34° 27.933    W 083° 27.576
  34.46555    -83.4596
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Leatherwood Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Leatherwood Baptist Church was established in 1801 at Eastanollee in Franklin County. Any members moved near here, organized this church and named at Leatherwood. Members remaining in Eastanollee reorganized and named their church Eastanollee. Land for the first church here was given by Hudson Moss. His granddaughter, wife of Thomas Scales Wells, pastor for many years, gave the land for the present church building. Many landowners and their slaves were members of the church. Near here is the site of the Bsttle of the Narrows and the old Muster Ground.

GHM 006-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1954




Leatherwood Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

006-6