Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mt. Pleasant Church



Marker ID: GHM 006-7
Location: Ga 51 west of Damascus Rd (old Ga 184) east of Homer
County: Banks
Coordinates: N 34° 21.821    W 083° 26.647
  34.363683    -83.44411
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPF8
Mt. Pleasant Church  Marker  



Text:

In 1780 a group of people, Garrisons and Wilmonts, met on the top of the hill behind the church, built a platform between two trees, and held a religious meeting. This small gathering, and the statement that it was pleasant to worship on the mountain, led to the building of the first Mt. Pleasant Church, a log structure. The present one, built in 1883, is on land given by John Wilmont. A large wooden arbor with small cabins around, used until 1885, was erected on the church grounds for annual camp meetings. Many outstanding people have gone out from this church - teachers, doctors, preachers, merchants, bankers, nurses.

GHM 006-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1956
6



 

Mt. Pleasant Church


 

006-7