Historic Markers Across Georgia



Banks County



Marker ID: GHM 006-7B
Location: old Courthouse in Homer on US 441
County: Banks
Coordinates: N 34° 20.048    W 083° 29.962
  34.33413333    -83.49936666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3F5
Banks County  Marker  



Text:

Banks County was created by Act of Dec. 11, 1858 from Franklin and Habersham Counties. It was named for Dr. Richard Banks (1784-1850), whose reputation as physician and surgeon extended over north Ga. and S.C. Especially noted for treating Indians for smallpox, he practiced medicine in Gainesville from 1832 until his death. First officers of Banks County, commissioned March 19, 1859, were: William P. Richards, Sheriff; James Anderson, Clk. Sup. Ct.; William H. Means, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Archibald McDonald, Coroner; Pierce C. Key, Surveyor; Fountain G. Moss, Ord.; Thomas Ausburn, Tax Col.; Elijah Owens, Tax Rec.

GHM 006-7B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

Banks County


 

006-7B