Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Yargo



Marker ID: GHM 007-1
Location: On Ga 81 south of Winder at the city limit sign
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 33° 57.489    W 083° 44.840
  33.95815    -83.74733
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2XMB
Fort Yargo  Marker  



Text:

This remarkably preserved log blockhouse was built in 1793, according to historians. There are several references to Fort Yargo as existing prior to 1800. Its location is given as three miles southwest of "Jug Tavern," original name for Winder.


Early historians say Fort Yargo was one of four forts built by Humphries Brothers to protect early white settlers from Indians. The other three forts were listed as at Talassee, Thomocoggan, now Jefferson, and Groaning Rock, now Commerce.


Fort Yargo is now a State Park with recreational facilities.

GHM 007-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Fort Yargo blockhouse
Fort Yargo


 

007-1