Historic Markers Across Georgia



Winder's Most Historical Spot



Marker ID: BCHS 007-93
Location: at the corner of W. Athens and Church Streets, Winder, GA
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 33° 59.665    W 083° 43.504
  33.99441666    -83.72506666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2J6
Winder's Most Historical Spot Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

For years inestimable the CREEK INDIAN VILLAGE of SNODON stood here.
In 1793 ALONZO DRAPER, HOMER JACKSON and HERMAN SCUPEEN and their families became the first white people to establish homes in SNODON. This same year SNODON became JUG TAVERN.

In 1862, BRYD BETTS gave a portion of land for JUG TAVERN´S first church, the First Methodist.

In 1880 HILLMAN D. JACKSON, DR. JAMES M. SAUNDERS and REV. D. FRANK RUTHERFORD purchased 11 1/2 acres and built JUG TAVERN´S FIRST SCHOOL on this spot known as the ACADEMY LOT. These three men served as Board of Trustees until 1887, at which time they transferred the school to a new board consisting of: ROBERT L. CARITHERS, C.W. HARRIS, HILLMAN D. JACKSON. J.H. KILGORE and Z.F. STANTON.

JUG TAVERN became WINDER in 1893 and the ACADEMY LOT remained the site of WINDER´S Public School until 1938.

ERECTED BY DESCENDANTS OF DR. JAMES M. SAUNDERS AND HILLMAN D. JACKSON IN 1979

BARROW COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



 

 

007-A10