Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bethlehem United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the rear of the church, at the entrance to the church offices, 709 Christmas Ave (Ga Highway 11), Bethlehem, GA
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 33° 56.100    W 083° 42.950
  33.935    -83.71583333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Bethlehem United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Oldest Methodist Church in Barrow County, organized in the 1780´s. Services first held two miles N.E. in log house. In 1790 a church was built nearby. The present site was originally a camp ground with an arbor, tents & cottages for camp meetings. Arbor used as mobilization center during War Between the States. Exact date church moved to this site unknown. Land deeded by Rev. John W. B. Allen to trustees in 1847. First church here torn down in 1878 and another erected. Present church was built in 1949 as a memorial to Guy Lee Thompson. Church School building added in 1967. Narthex and steeple added in 1970.

Erected by the Bethlehem United Methodist Church and the Barrow County Historical Society, August 7, 1977



 
Notes:

The church, and the marker, were originally located on Bethlehem Church Road at Manning Gin Road, and statements on the marker refer to that building. The new church building complex on Christmas Avenue was completed and dedicated in 2001, and the marker was moved to its present location at that time. (David Seibert)

 

007-A11