Historic Markers Across Georgia



Perry-Rainey Institute



Marker ID: BCHS 
Location: 7th St at 6th Ave at Auburn Elementary School, Auburn
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 34° 00.618    W 083° 49.464
  34.0103    -83.8244
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPZC
Perry-Rainey Institute  Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

Perry -Rainey Institute founded 1892 by Mulberry Baptist Assn. at Appalachee Baptist Church, Auburn.

Predecessors of Perry - Rainey Institute -- Harmony Grove Academy, Mulberry High School and Perry - Rainey College.

Named for Reverend Hiram Rainey and Mrs. W.T. Perry, donors. Institute opened 1893, chartered in 1894, first graduation 1896.

Sold in 1915 to the Christian Church and became SOUTHEASTERN CHRISTIAN COLLEGE until 1924. Sold to Barrow County in 1928 and Administrative Building became Auburn-Consolidated School. Building was torn down in 1958. Only girls dormitory remains owned by R & R Manufacturing Co.

ERECTED BY FRIENDS OF BARROW COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND CITY OF AUBURN 1983

BARROW COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



 

 

007-A4