Historic Markers Across Georgia



Rockwell Universalist Church



Marker ID: BCHS 
Location: On Ga 53 at Rockwell Church Rd 2.8 miles from junction of Ga. 53 and Ga. 11 north of Winder
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 34° 02.07    W 083° 42.51
  34.0345    -83.7085
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2AM
Rockwell Universalist Church  Marker  



Text:

Organized 1839 -- second oldest Universalist Church in Georgia. Located here near original site of Rockwell School, oldest school in this section, and Rockwell Masonic Lodge. Confederate Soldiers enlisted and drilled here 1861-1865.

Church reorganized in 1867 by Dr. L. F. W. Andrews as first Universalist Church of then Jackson County, and called Mulberry Church. Voting precinct and Justice Court, known as House´s District, were located here until 1900. Present building erected 1881, and name changed to Rockwell Church. Paul Hill deeded the land to the church

ERECTED BY ROCKWELL CHURCH, AUGUST 1978

BARROW COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



Rockwell Universalist Church
Rockwell Universalist Church
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



 

007-A5