Historic Markers Across Georgia



Statham House



Marker ID: BCHS 
Location: Broad St east of Jefferson St, Statham
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 33° 57.920    W 083° 35.705
  33.96533333    -83.59508333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNJ5
Statham House  Marker  



Text:

Built circa 1850. Owned by M. John C. Statham. He provided homes for widows of Civil War Veterans; donated land for right-of-way of railroad; streets for town, and a lot for a Methodist Church -- now the city cemetery. Statham, incorporated Dec. 20, 1892, named in honor of its founder, M.J.C. Statham. First Post Office known as Barber´s Creek, 1846; then DeLay, 1854; and changed to Statham in 1892. Statham was originally known as Calamit Village, part of the Talasee Colony on the Ocoloco Trail, inhabited by Creek and Cherokee Indians. In 1784 white settlers paid Indian Chief Umausauga 14 pounds of beads for land from Calamit to Snodon and Poganip, calling it Beadland.

MARKER ERECTED BY CITY OF STATHAM JULY 30, 1977



 

 

007-A8