Historic Markers Across Georgia



Glenwood Elementary and High School



Marker ID: GHS 7-1
Location: at the intersection of King Street and Wood Street, Winder, Georgia
County: Barrow
Coordinates: N 33° 59.467    W 083° 42.617
  33.99111666    -83.71028333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Glenwood Elementary and High School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Glenwood Elementary and High School was established in 1951 as one of Georgia's first public consolidated schools for African Americans. Part of a statewide equalization effort to improve school buildings and preserve segregation, Glenwood became the only public school for black students in Barrow County, consolidating several smaller rural schools including Bethlehem, Tanner's Bridge, Fairfield, and Bush Chapel. Through academics and extra-curricular activities like chorus and drama Glenwood inspired community pride. LaFar Dupree Sims served as the school's only principal and helped guide Glenwood and the community through the process of school integration. In 1970 Glenwood was closed and an integrated Winder-Barrow Middle School opened in the same building at this location.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Glenwood Barrow County
H.S. Alumni Association, Inc., the Barrow County Board of Education,
2012.1       and the Barrow County Historical Society.      7-1




Glenwood Elementary and High School
Photo by David Seibert



 

007-HS01