Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro



Marker ID: GHM 008-24
Location: Ga 113 at Stilesboro, GA
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 06.193    W 084° 55.009
  34.10321666    -84.91681666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7E3N
The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro  Marker  



Text:

May 23-24, 1864: The 4th, 20th & two divisions of the 14th corps [USA] converged here, from Etowah River crossings at Island Ford, Gillem´s & Milam´s bridges, & moved S.E. up the valley of Raccoon Cr. to Burnt Hickory P.O. (Huntsville).

The Army of the Ohio (23d A.C. & Stoneman´s Cavalry) [USA], crossing at Milam´s, moved E. & S. to Burnt Hickory, via Sligh´s Mill.

These troops composed center & left of Sherman´s advance to New Hope Church.

GHM 008-24 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

008-24