Historic Markers Across Georgia



Spring Bank



Marker ID: GHM 008-32
Location: Off of Halls Station Road 1.4 miles north of GA 293. Take the narrow gravel road across the creek. The marker will be on the left. (short walk from Halls Station Rd.)
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 15.483    W 084° 57.625
  34.258050    -84.960417
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2A1G
Spring Bank  Marker  



Text:

Ante-bellum plantation and residence of the Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, where he established a private school.

May 18, 1864. Hardee´s A.C. [CSA] moved from Adairsville to Kingston on this road enroute to Cass Station. May 19, the 4th and 14th A.C. [USA] followed, occupying Kingston, to which point all the rest of the army had been directed by Sherman under the false impression that Johnston´s forces had retreated there.

The stirring events of locality are ably set forth by Frances Thomas Howard in her book "In and Out of the Lines."

GHM 008-32 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1986



 

Spring Bank

Notes:

This marker is at the entrance to a little known nature preserve in Bartow County. There are two Geocaches in this area. Bartow County is opening a new park at this location also. There are some of the most beautiful trees and the foundations of an old plantation here also.

 

008-32