Historic Markers Across Georgia



Emersion



Marker ID: GHM 008-4
Location: At City Hall on 4th Street, Emerson, GA
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 07.616    W 084° 45.412
  34.126933    -84.75686
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2B2P
Emersion Marker  



Text:

Named for Joseph Emerson Brown, Gov. of Ga., 1857-1865, U.S. Senator, 1880-1891. Known as Stegall´s Station prior to 1889; site of the Bartow Iron Works.

May 20, 1864: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston´s forces [CSA] camped here after retreating from Cassville and burning the highway and R.R. bridges over the Etowah. Having heard that Sherman´s forces [USA] had moved southward from Kingston toward Dallas, Johnston resumed his march on roads that converged there, May 23d, 24th.

Allatoona, scene of Oct. 5, 1864, battle, is 2 mi. E.

GHM 008-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952



 

 

008-4