Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kingston Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 008-49
Location: Main Street in Kingston, GA
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 14.117    W 084° 56.685
  34.235283    -84.94475
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2D1R
Kingston Methodist Church  Marker  



Text:

The original church, with another name and at another location, was built in 1845, rebuilt in Kingston in 1854, and dedicated by Rev. Lovick Pierce, a leading preacher of the nation and father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The only church remaining after Sherman´s march through here, it opened its doors freely to all denominations, creating such a spirit of fellowship that children of the generation grew up feeling there was only one church. It was Kingston´s schoolhouse, too. For many years Confederate Memorial Day services were held at the church. Among its ablest pastors have been Gen. Clement A. Evans, Simon Peter Richardson, Lovick Pierce, Bishop George F. Pierce, Dr. W. H. Felton. Sam P. Jones have preached here, while Mrs. Lem Gilreath and Mrs. Mary Harris Armor have held temperance rallies.
The large, handsome bell in this church, a gift of John Pendleton King, U.S. Senator, president of the W. & A. Railroad, for whom

Kingston is named, for 100 years has been the town fire alarm and has announced the return of peace after four years. It can be heard over a radius of four miles. In 1906 the church was rebuilt on its present location.

GHM 008-49 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

008-49