Historic Markers Across Georgia



Rome Railroad



Marker ID:  S4
Location: On Railroad Street at Johnson St, Kingston, GA.
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 14.202    W 084° 56.789
  34.2367    -84.94648333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM82MK
Rome Railroad Marker  



Text:

Incorporated on Dec. 21, 1839 as the Memphis Branch Railroad and Steamboat Co. of Georgia, this was the first railroad in the South designated to connect steamboat traffic to railroads. In Dec., 1849 the 18 mile track from Kingston to Rome was completed. From Rome, cotton and other commodities were shipped downriver on the Coosa to Gadsden, Alabama and two other points.

In April, 1862 to the "William R. Smith" on the Rome Railroad picked up the chase in Kingston to pursue the Andrew Raiders during the Great Locomotive Chase. In July, 1864 the Rome RR was taken over by the U.S. Military and played a key role in sending troops from Rome to the Allatoona Pass Battle which averted a Union Military disaster.

In Oct., 1943 the "Little Rome RR" made its last run.



 

Rome Railroad

Notes:

Wikipedia - Battle of Allatoona Pass

 

008-A12