Historic Markers Across Georgia



Etowah Valley Plantation



Marker ID:  
Location: on Hwy 113 West of Cartersville near the end of the runway for the Cartersville, GA Airport
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 08.007    W 084° 50.877
  34.13345    -84.84795
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH1XV
Etowah Valley Plantation Marker  



Text:

On this site from 1844-1879 stood the plantation of Maj. John Sharpe Rowland and Frances Lewis Rowland. The plantation comprised some 2,500 acres. Rowland's Ferry was located just northeast of here at the mouth of Pettit's Creek. The Rowlands also owned Rowland Springs which was approximately 9.5 miles northeast of here. It was the most exclusive resort in the State of Georgia in the mid 19th century.

John Rowland was a veteran of the War of 1812 and served as Superintendent of the Western & Atlantic Railroad from 1861-1863. Frances Rowland was an accomplished spinner and weaver who received many awards for her work. Both were generous philanthropists, and assisted the hospitals and needy families of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

The family cemetery lies on the hilltop above, and the plantation manse stood approximately 300 feet southwest of the cemetery

Etowah Valley Historical Society
February 2013



 

Etowah Valley Plantation


 

008-A22