Historic Markers Across Georgia



Taylorsville High School 1900-1966



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Euharlee Street and Lanier Dr, Taylorsville, GA
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 5.503    W 084° 59.455
  34.09171666    -84.99091666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMXHQ
Taylorsville High School 1900-1966 Marker  



Text:

In 1900, while Georgia was struggling to organize a system of schools, Taylorsville citizens founded the first free high school in Bartow County. Leaders included W. D. Trippe, Sr.; W. M Dorsey; W. P Harris, Sr.; W. m Trippe; E. O. Davis; L. W. Jolly; P. M. Rhodes and John Dorsey. In 1922, seven years before Bartow County established high schools, the first of over 660 diplomas was awarded. In 1926, a $10,000 bond built a 5 room brick building to replace the original 3 room frame structure that burned. In 1937, following consolidation with 4 small schools, citizens approved a $17,000 bond and obtained $13,010 federal grant to build a wing for senior HS programs. Later the county purchased additional land and expanded the facilities. Graduates have made significant contributions to society in the arts, business, education, government, engineering, farming, law, medicine, ministry, and research. The history of the school, including names of students, faculty and graduates, along with information about student activities and commencement exercises, is recorded in Taylorsville High School 1900- 1966 by Lamar Harris, 2012, available in the EVHS archives.

Erected by Etowah Valley Historical Society



 

Taylorsville High School 1900-1966


 

008-A24