Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tennessee wagon road



Marker ID:  
Location: Located at the Allatoona Pass Battlefield on Old Allatoona Rd, Allatoona, GA.
County: Bartow
Coordinates: N 34° 06.880    W 084° 42.882
  34.11466666    -84.7147
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WM9427
Tennessee wagon road Marker  



Text:

Tennessee Wagon Road

Known as the Tennessee Wagon Road, this heavily traveled route passed over the Allatoona mountain range and north to Chattanooga, Tennessee. South of Allatoona Pass, this road was known as the Sandtown Road and led to the community of Sandtown located on the Chattahoochee River west of Atlanta. Years of wagon wheels and horse hooves wearing into the dirt surface created the "sunken road" effect seen today.

The Allatoona community was established at the crossroads of the Tennessee Wagon Road (north - south) and the Old Alabama Road or Cartersville Rd. (east - west). The tiny village with only 6 or 7 buildings included the John Clayton house, a few stores, and the depot along with other railroad structures.

Pictures on the marker:
Circa 1900, a buggy crossed the tracks of Allatoona on the Tennessee wagon road. The top of the depot can be seen behind the rail car on the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway, incorporated in 1873. In 1890, the V. in C. and St. L. reached Atlanta, Georgia after leasing the state own Western and Atlantic Railway.

Georgia State Parks & Historical Sites



 
Tennessee Wagon Road
Tennessee wagon road


 

008-AB4