Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ben Hill County



Marker ID: GHM 009-2
Location: Courthouse on E. Central Street in Fitzgerald, GA
County: Ben Hill
Coordinates: N 31° 42.86    W 083° 15.007
  31.714333    -83.25011
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC41C
Ben Hill County  Marker
Photo by Keith Hair



Text:

Ben HIll County, created by Act of July 31, 1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), "one of America´s greatest orators." A Staunch supporter of the administration in the Confederate Senate, after the War Between the States he was an influential member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. First officers of Ben Hill County, commissioned Jan. 5, 1907, were: C.M.Wise, Ordinary; D.W.M. Whitley, Clerk Superior Cout; W.H. Fountain, Sheriff; E. Gibbs, Tax Receiver; W.L. Smith, Tax Collector, J.H. Goodman, Treasurer; Oscar Barron, Surveyor; William McCormick, Coroner.

GHM 009-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Ben Hill Courthouse
Ben Hill County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

009-2