Historic Markers Across Georgia



Berrien County



Marker ID: GHM 010-3
Location: On Davis St (US 29) at the Courthouse in Nashville, GA
County: Berrien
Coordinates: N 31° 12.407    W 083° 14.997
  31.206783    -83.24995
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9WWZ
Berrien County  Marker  



Text:

Berrien County, created by Act of Feb. 25, 1856, was named for John MacPherson Berrien, "the American Cicero," who was born Aug. 23, 1781 and died Jan. 1, 1856. He was Jusge of the Eastern Circuit, U.S. Senator and U.S. Attorney General. The county seat, Nashville, was named for Gen. Francis Nash of N.C., distinguished soldier of the Revolution. First county officers, commissioned April 21, 1856, were: Sher., John Studstill; Clk. of Courts, Richard A. Peeples; Tax Rec., John A. Money; Tax Col., John M. Futch; Cor., James Dobson; Sur., Seaborn J. Bradford; Ord., John Lindsey.

GHM 010-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 
Berrien County Courthouse
Berrien County


 

010-3