Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Headquarters



Marker ID: GHM 011-1
Location: Wall of the Nolan Building, MLK Jr Blvd and Plum St, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates:   
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

During the War Between the States this site was occupied by the old Macon railroad car sheds.

Brigadier General Marcus J. Wright, former Commander of Wright´s Brigade of the Army of Tennessee [C], was assigned to the command of the Post of Macon after being wounded in the Battles of Shiloh and Chickamauga.

He established camp Wright in the outskirts of Macon, but set up his headquarters on the second floor of the car sheds that stood here. So this was the site of the Confederate headquarters from early in 1864 until the end of the war.