Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site: Wesleyan College



Marker ID: GHM 011-12
Location: College Street at Georgia Avenue, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.434    W 083° 38.31
  32.840566    -83.6385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Site: Wesleyan College  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On December 23, 1836, the Legislature of the State of Georgia chartered The Georgia Female College. The first class graduated July 26, 1840. In 1843, the name was changed to Wesleyan Female College in 1919 to Wesleyan College.

The oldest sororities in the world were founded at Wesleyan: The Adelphean Society, now Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, 1851, and the Philomathean Society, now Phi Mu Fraternity, 1852. The world´s first alumnae association for a women´s college was organized at Wesleyan in 1859.

Through early years of doubt, Wesleyan bore witness that women were capable of receiving higher education. the motto on its seal -- Scienta et Pietas-- represents ideals which have inspired her graduates to go forth to the far corners of the earth to teach, to lead, to serve.

In 1928, the college moved six miles northwest to the new Rivoli campus. The Wesleyan Conservatory and school of Fine Arts remained in the original buildings until 1953 when they were transferred to Rivoli. Old Wesleyan College and the adjoining Pierce Chapel burned February 24, 1963.

GHM 011-12 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1986




Site: Wesleyan College
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

A small plaque mounted to the poles reads:
This restored marker commemorating Wesleyan’s sesquicentennial year was replaced May 2, 1986 and sponsored by the Macon Town Committee of the National Dames of America in the state of Georgia.

More information:
Wesleyan University
Wikipedia - Wesleyan College

 

011-12