Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 011-14
Location: 4 Mulberry Street parkway, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.346    W 083° 37.782
  32.8391    -83.6297
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7E4A
The March to the Sea  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his March to the Sea. His army (50,000 infantry and 5,500 cavalry) moved in two widely separated wings. The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen O.O. Howard, USA, moved via Jackson toward Gordon (20 miles E), feinting on Macon. The left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen Henry W. Slocum, USA, moved via Decatur and Eatonton toward Milledgeville (34 miles NE), feinting on Augusta. The 3rd CAvalry Division, Brig. Gen. J.L. Kilpatrick, USA, covered the Right Wing.

On the 18th and 19th, the Right Wing crossed the Ocmulgee River at Planter´s Factory (Seven Islands), 30 miles NW of Macon. On the 19th, Kilpatrick reached Clinton (12 miles NE) and turned toward Macon, the Right Wing continuing toward Gordon. The infantry had marched from Atlanta almost unopposed; but Kilpattrick had skirmished steadily with Wheeler´s cavalry (CSA) which was now contesting his advance toward Macon.

Next morning, he attacked the defenses of East Macon. Repulsed by Wheeler and the Georgia Militia, he retired to Griswoldville (9 miles E) where he found Walcutt´s Brigade, 15th Corps (USA) posted there to protect the passage of the wagon trains of the Right Wing. They destroyed several miles of track, and burned the pistol factory, a soap and candle factory and other facilities in Griswoldville, but no further attempt was made on Macon during the March to the Sea.

GHM 012-14 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

011-14