Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jefferson Davis At The Lanier House



Marker ID: GHM 011-16
Location: Mulberry Street parkway at the Lanier House, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.254    W 083° 37.637
  32.837566    -83.62728
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Jefferson Davis At The Lanier House  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (100 miles NE), where he performed his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the trasn-Mississippi Department where, supported by those Confederate forces not yet surrendered, he hoped to negotiate a just peace.

After a difficult journey via Sandersville, Dublin and Abbeville, he camped a mile north or Irwinville (9 miles SW) in the present Jefferson Davis Memorial Park, unaware that, in Dublin, the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry (USA) had found his trail and begun pursuit.

At dawn on May 10th, his camp was surrounded by men of the 1st Wisconsin and 4th Michigan cavalry regiments (USA). Mr. Davis and his party were seized and brought to the Lanier House, hedquarters of Brevet Major General James H. Wilson, USA, commanding the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi (USA), which had occupied Macon on April 20th after a destructive raid through centrl Alabama and western Georgia.

On May 13, the revered leader of the Lost Cause was removed to Fortress Monroe, Virginia, via Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, where, until May 13, 1867, he was held as a ´state prisoner,´ his hopes for a new nation -- in which each stae would exercise without interference its cherished ´Constitutional Rights´ -- forever dead.

GHM 011-16 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

011-16