Historic Markers Across Georgia



Christ Church Episcopal



Marker ID: GHM 011-19
Location: Walnut between Second and Third Streets, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.33    W 083° 37.581
  32.838833    -83.62635
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7EN2
Christ Church Episcopal  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Reverend Lot Jones, while on a missionary tour of Georgia, founded Christ Episcopal Church on March 5, 1825. It was the first congregation organized in Macon. On December 26, 1826, the Georgia General Assembly enacted, "that Christopher B. Strong, Edward D. Tracy, Albert G. Clopton, Addison Mandell and Reuben Burroughs are hereby declared to be a body corporate, by the name and style of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the town of Macon and the County of Bibb." Under the leadership of the Reverend Seneca G. Bragg, the first church building was erected in 1834.

The Reverend Joseph A. Shanklin was rector when this gothic structure was erected. On Sunday, May 2, 1852, it was consecrated by The right Reverend Stephen Elliott, the first bishop of Georgia. James B. Ayres was the master builder. The original church bell was given to the Confederate Government in 1863 and in 1868 a new bell was presented to the church by A.A. Roff, a member. This bell bears the inscription: "On earth peace, good will to men."

Sidney Lanier, poet, was married to Miss Mary Day in Christ Church on December 19, 1867.

011-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959




Christ Church Episcopal
Photo by Ken Moser



 

011-19